The Chelsea Physic Garden is found beside the River Thames. The Garden was founded in 1673 by the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries. Apprentices studied the medicinal qualities of plants here.
Plants from the dawn of life like tiny mosses, through verdant ferns, alien horsetails and giant conifers are celebrated here. The walled Garden allows tender species to be nurtured so plants can be displayed in their full beauty
Plants have been used in medicines for over 2000 years English Delftware apothecary jars are the familiar tin-glazed jars with elaborate blue cartouches indicating their contents. The medicines they contain were mostly plant-based mixtures, compounded according to the requirements of the Royal College of Physicians’ Pharmacopoeia Londinensis of 1618.
The Garden of Medicinal plants continues the work of the Garden in growing and displaying medicinal plants, which has been fundamental to the Garden since its founding by the Society of Apothecaries in 1673.
Highlight enjoy the Art of the newly opened Garden of Medicinal Plants with a brand new statue of Sir Hans Sloane sculpted by Simon Smith after the original from 1737 by John Michael Rysbrack (1694-1771)!
The Chelsea Physic Garden
66 Royal Hospital Road